This looks great!
National Library of Scotland, Bòrd na Gàidhlig and Wikimedia UK are delighted to announce their collaboration in supporting the position of Gaelic Wikipedian at the National Library of Scotland. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the successful applicant to work with community groups and young Gaelic speakers from all over Scotland to develop Uicipeid, the Gaelic Wikipedia. By writing and translating content for Uicipeid Gaels will practise and use their language skills and share their knowledge of Gaelic culture, heritage and community and their perspective of the world.
Role Title: Gaelic Wikipedian
Reporting to: Digital Access Manager
Salary: £29,608 (18.5 hours per week, 12 month fixed term)
The Gaelic Wikipedian is a collaboration between National Library of Scotland and Wikimedia UK made possible by generous support from Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
This is a specialist role, which works at the operational level, to increase the online profile of Gaelic language and culture by engaging Gaels in the development of Uicipeid, the Gaelic Wikipedia. https://gd.wikipedia.org/
The Wikipedian will design and deliver a range of activities to supply young Gaels (16-25 years old) and others in the Gaelic community with the training, tools and skills necessary to create and edit Uicipeid articles.
They will also work with Wikimedia UK and Gaelic agencies, organisations and communities to determine the most appropriate approach for connecting young Gaels and the Gaelic community with Uicipeid.
Through their work the Wikipedian will increase awareness, size and use of Uicipeid and proactively encourage contributions from Gaels and others to WikiCommons and WikiData https://commons.wikimedia.org https://www.wikidata.org/
The Wikipedian will undertake event evaluation, monitoring development of Uicipeid and WikiCommons, and prepare monthly progress reports.
The Wikipedian will be a supporter of, and advocate for, open knowledge.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables
• design and deliver 15 training events or meetings throughout Scotland to improve Uicipeid and add content to WikiCommons
• collaborate and partner with Gaelic community groups, agencies and organisations on the project
• identify priority areas for development on Uicipeid
• as a result of their work have at least 80 articles updated or created on Uicipeid
• register at least 40 new user accounts on Uicipeid
• add at least 200 images relating to Gaelic language and culture to WikiCommons
• produce guidelines on contributing to Uicipeid and WikiCommons
• undertake tasks and activities as required by the job specific role.