The John Byrne Award is a monthly competition open to 16-25 year olds in Scotland. We accept creative works in any medium that express the artists’ values. £100 monthly prize + £1000 annual prize.
The John Byrne Award is a competition open to 16-25 year olds living in Scotland that supports the creative expression of values. We accept high-quality creative works, 365 days a year, that express and explore values. Photos, paintings, essays, animations, poems, etc- any mediums are accepted.
We exhibit all entries at www.Johnbyrneaward.org.uk, and promote many of our entries on Facebook. The Herald newspaper prints the best entry every month.
• Each month, the best entry wins our ‘highlight-of-the-month’ and £100.
• In February, we invite all entrants to our annual awards ceremony and give out 4x £500 and £1000 to the best overall entries.
• All entries are eligible for all prizes.
• Entries can be any piece of creative work that means something to you: art, music, video, essays, photography, short stories – your imagination is your limit.
• Entries must be original work, can be new or already in existence, and can be produced by one person or many.
• All entrants should be living in Scotland and be between the ages of 16 -25 on the date of submission.
• All entries received before midnight on the last day of the month will be eligible for the ‘highlight-of-the-month’ prize.
1. Pick a value or set of values (more information on values is available on our website). The values you choose and angle you take are completely up to you.
2. Produce any piece of work that expresses those values/ choose a piece of work you have already created.
3. Write up to 200 words describing the values your entry expresses and why. The most successful entries have descriptions that focus on the values behind them; rather than the techniques used to create them.
4. Send the following information, with your creative work and description, to Share@JohnByrneAward.org.uk or The John Byrne Award Facebook page:
School/college/ university (if attending)
Title of entry
5. See your work exhibited on our website and social media, and receive your invitation to our awards ceremony in February.
Location: All Scotland
The deadline is Wednesday 31 January 2018 at 23:00.