Congratulations to Corrina Hewat who has been nominated in Music Tutor of the Year sponsored by Creative Scotland Youth Music Initiative in the MG ALBA Scots Trad Music Awards 2020. Vote now!
We asked Corrina Hewat the following questions.
Tell us about yourself
I’ve been a professional musician since 1994 and, from the beginning, passing on what I was learning was part of the process of absorbing the music.
• Harp and voice lessons online and in person
• MD Sangstream Scots Folk Choir, Edinburgh 2015-2018, 2020 onwards
• Principal Scottish Harp Tutor at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (BMus, MMus, MA, BEd)
• Sang Scuil | Sgoil nan Oran Scots/Gaelic song choir in Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
• Harmony Singing Weekends across the country and now online.
• Made In Midlothian ‘Sing The Joy Back In’ a singing-harmony 6-video series I put together, and produced, for 2020 and lockdown local connection.
• Guest Tutor at Harmony Singing Workshops – SingFest in Surrey, HarmonySong Retreat, Maddy Prior’s Stones Barn, Lifelong Learning with Feis Rois, Pathhead Community Singing group, Big Big Sing Commonwealth project, Findhorn Earthsings, Dinan Festival, Celtic Connections
• Guest song and harp tutor – Edinburgh International Harp Festival, Feis Rois 2020 online Festival and all Feisean age groups, Durham Summer School, Newcastle University, Strathclyde University Applied Music, Jewel & Esk College, Balnain House, Harpentreffen in Holland, Dinan Rencontre Harp Composer Competition, Durham Summer School, Folkestra, Ohio Summer School, New Hampshire Highland Games, Scottish Harp Society of America sanctioned judge, Splore, AYF, Folkworks Summer School.
• Celtic Connections Song School Musical Director of varied vocal workshops for all singers, amateur to professional in a variety of styles from Gaelic to Appalachian, Scots, Harmony, Chorus Songs, Burns, Ballads, Beatboxing and Storytelling (annually in January)
• Harp Village – musically directing a harp weekend in Cromarty (annually in September since 2010)
SHSA sanctioned trained judge for the Harp Society of America (2007 onwards)
The Inverness Music Festival
Lorient (France) Camac Harp Competition
Clarsach Society Composer’s Award
Scots Song examiner at RCS
Harp adjudicator at Royal National Mod
Music For Youth mentor
• Dragon Song Productions with Rachel Huggins – preschool interactive shows for Under 5’s and Under 1’s – sell out ‘Moon Dragon’ at Fringe 2019, working on ‘Sea Dragon’ 2020
• Shine vocal/harp touring trio with harpist Mary Macmaster & Gaelic singer Alyth McCormack
• The Unusual Suspects 22-piece (up to 36-piece!) Folk big band co-director with David Milligan
• Solo performer voice and Scottish harp, a variety of online gigs through 2020
• Bachué folk/jazz trio with pianist David Milligan, trumpeter Colin Steele, drummer Donald Hay
• Grace, Hewat, Polwart vocal trio with Karine Polwart & Annie Grace
• Chantan vocal trio with Christine Kydd & Elspeth Cowie
• Kathryn Tickell and Corrina Hewat duo of Northumbrian pipes, fiddle, Scottish harp, voice
• Scottish Women 20 women musicians performed and toured around Scotland
PREVIOUS MUSICAL DIRECTION
• Love Music Choir “Edinburgh Sings’ concert March 2018
• Big Big Sing choir leader for launch of Commonwealth Year of Events and Queens Baton arrival
• TMSA Young Trad Tour 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 Hands Up For Trad BBC Young Traditional Musician of the Year tour and MD/production of accompanying cd
• Feis Rois MD for Proms at Albert Hall 2012
• The Gordon Duncan Experience 2010-12, for the Gordon Duncan Memorial Trust working with 19 young musicians based in Perth
• The Cape Breton Connection 2009, Voices of the World 2008, Harp Heaven 2008, Songs of Conscience 2007, Scottish Men 2006 – high profile main stage shows at Celtic Connections
• Folkestra – guest musical director of youth orchestra run by Kathryn Tickell
• Celtic Connections Festival – coordinating the full programme of public workshops for the multi-award-winning festival (annually in January) 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020,
• Awarded Honorary Lifetime Member of the TMSA Traditional Music and Song Association
• Awarded an Artists Bursary by Creative Scotland for development in songwriting
• Awarded Music Tutor of the Year at the Scots Trad Music Awards
• A member of the Pathhead Music Collective (awarded Creative Places by Creative Scotland)
• Award winner in the 2012 Camac Harp Trophy competition at the Interceltique Festival, Lorient
• A recipient of a ‘Women in Music’ Award for composition
• Nominated for Paul Hamlyn Composers Award
• Musical Director of Unusual Suspects nominated Live Act of the Year at STMA
• Nominated Instrumentalist of the Year at the Scottish Traditional Music Awards
• Camac Harps sponsored her with an Electroharp
• SCOTTISH HARP BOOK AND CD of compositions published by Taigh Na Teud 2002
• NEW HARP MUSIC compositions self-published 2019
• Harmony Song book – working on 4-part harmony book of arrangements and original songs 2021
• TOTALLY TUNES – working on composition book 100 new trad-style tunes 2021
RECORDINGS AS LEADER/CO-LEADER/COMPOSER
Corrina Hewat Harp I Do Big Bash Records BBRCD016
Corrina Hewat My Favourite Place Footstompin’ Records FSRCD1719
Shine Fire and Frost Chocolate Records CHOCCD002
Shine Sugarcane Chocolate Records CHOC 001CD
The Unusual Suspects Big Like This Big Bash Records BBRCD017
The Unusual Suspects Live in Scotland (Live) Foot Stompin Records CDFSR1727
Bachue The Butterfly Big Bash Records BBRCD015
Bachue A Certain Smile Culburnie Records CUL114D
Bachue Bachue Café Highlander Music HRMCD001
Kathryn Tickell & Corrina Hewat The Sky Didn’t Fall Park Records PRKCD88
Chantan Primary Colours Culburnie Records CUL108D
Corrina Hewat & The Dunedin Consort Silhouette Tob Records TRCD015
Corrina Hewat & The Light Music Photons In Vapour Tob Records TRCD007
The Sea King’s Daughter Audio Classics Saltire Society SSACCD001
HAPIS DVD Highland Ante/Postnatal Illness & Depression Support
FEIS ROIS 25TH Anniversary DVD Feis Rois Feis Rois
RECORDINGS AS GUEST MUSICIAN
Scott Murray New album recorded October 2020 to be released
Kate Young Umbelliferæ (to be released)
Karine Polwart & Pippa Murphy A Pocket of Wind Resistance Hudson Records HUD005CD
Martin Green Flit Reveal Records REVEAL062CDX
Rachel Newton The Changeling Shadow Records SHADOW01
Alasdair Roberts/Robin Robertson Hirta Songs Stone Tape Recordings STR-006CD
MaryJane Lamond/Wendy MacIsaac Seinn Turtle Musik TTLMJ5
James Robertson/James Ross The Boy and the Bunnet Big Sky Productions Book and CD
Kim Edgar The Ornate Lie Quietly Fantastic Records
Bella Hardy Songs Lost and Stolen NAVIGATOR045
Laura Taylor The Arrow and the Apple FOTS Records FOTS3
Lau Arc Light Navigator Records
Bella Hardy In the Shadow of Mountains Noe Records NOE02
Bella Hardy Night Visiting Noe Records NOE01
Karine Polwart Scribbled In Chalk Hegri Music HEGRICD02
Karine Polwart Faultlines Neon Records NOENCD005
Ishbel MacAskill Essentially Ishbel IMCD001
Abby Newton Castles, Kirks and Caves Redwing Music RWMCD 5410
Horse Hindsight…is a wonderful thing Randan RANHCDA 02
Eric Bibb Home To Me Manhaton Records HATMAN2001
Andy Thorburn Tuath gu Deas Andy Thorburn Music ATMUSCD1
Carol Kidd Christmas with Carol Jazz Arena JACD1
Feisty Besoms Auld Flames Feisty Besoms FB001
Dougie Pincock Something Blew Greentrax CDTRAX 080
Iain Fraser/Freeland Barbour Northlins Iona Records IRCD027
Complete Songs of Robert Tannahill Vol. I Brechin All Records CDBAR003
Scottish Women Various Artistes Greentrax CDTRAX 261
Scots Women Various Artists (Live) Greentrax CDTRAX 213
The Complete Songs of Robert Burns Vol. IV Linn Records CKD 083
The Complete Songs of Robert Burns Vol. V Linn Records CKD 086
The Complete Songs of Robert Burns Vol. VI Linn Records CKD 099
Scottish Love Songs Compilation Tartan Tapes CDTT1003
Ecosse-Scotland Compilation Silex/Audivis YA225708
Cold Blow These Winter Winds Celtic Celebration of Christmas Green Linnet GLCD 1228
Why are you involved in Scottish music?
I love it, grown up with it. It’s the way we communicate.
Any particular career highlights?
The Unusual Suspects was a blast. A ridiculous notion which became an enormous juggernaut of FUN! Especially when representing Scotland in the Lorient Festival 2007. So many memories… some hazy, some sharp as a tack.
Singing with Bobby McFerrin on the Main Stage at CC. Doing a live workshop with him. Loved that. Want to spend more time learning from him!
Bachue supporting Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill in The Highland Music Festival in Dingwall. In fact there is a ton of stuff I have done with David that I feel brilliant about. Bachue was a blast.
Supporting Eric Bibb. He was a joy too and made my mum very happy!
That also happened with Richard Thomson. She was a giggling wreck at meeting him backstage. 🙂
Leading the Commonwealth Choir in Glasgow to send the Olympic flame on its way to London.
Gordon Duncan Experience doing their first proper gig on the main stage in Perth. The energy was fantastic – so much love from the audience and the kids were giving it their best.
Same thing with the Feis Rois kids who travelled down to the Albert Hall to perform for the School Proms in 2011. Such a brilliant group of musicians, all destined to make their mark in music, giving it laldy on the stage. So proud.
Winning the Trad Tutor of the Year in 2013. I completely did not think I would come close. And that gave me such a boost of confidence to keep learning myself and getting better at this!
The Kathryn Tickell duo was a joy to do. It was a mixing of characters as much as music.
What are your plans for the future?
Album to be recorded at the start of next year. Why haven’t I done my own album for so long? Well, too much time spent working with others. I seriously need to take the time to work on my own stuff again.
Two new books to be produced. One of my compositions. I have over 100 which need to be seen and heard!
A harmony song book of my arrangements also to be released.
The Song of the Oak and Ivy harp piece to be recorded. (45 minutes with 6 players and ten differing harps.
Making the Connection to be released (still to have a piper and voices recorded, then it’s done).
The MG ALBA Scots Trad Music Awards, Na Trads 2020, will be broadcast on BBC ALBA on 12th December 2020 at 9pm where the award winners will be announced along with specially recorded music performances. During the day on Saturday the 12th, you will be able to watch from 1pm til 9pm a day of live Scottish trad music including Kinnaris Quintet, Dallahan, Inyal, Paul McKenna Band, Ryan Young and Jenn Butterworth and many more here https://youtu.be/amByvVzxl5E. Keep up to date with all the latest information by joining the Hands Up for Trad newsletter at https://handsup.link/Newsletter or use the hashtags #natrads #HUFTonline.
If you would like to support Hands Up for Trad in their work with Scottish trad music and musicians please consider supporting our Patreon campaign. We have 3 tiers starting at $1 a month and everything helps support us in our work. Read more at www.patreon.com/handsupfortrad