The Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA) is looking for a Development Manager to help the company achieve its objectives of representing and developing the music industry in Scotland.
This new role will have two elements:
1 Raise finance and secure additional funds for the company. Sell sponsorship for some of our projects, monetise some of the IP assets we generate, help create value and drive core membership subscriptions.
2 Use your commercial and fundraising skills to provide some business development consultancy to our member companies.
The SMIA aims to increase the value, grow the size and improve the sustainability of the music industry in Scotland. We want to strengthen the supply network. By encouraging music users to buy more from music makers, trade is stimulated and the industry’s economic health improves.
To help the SMIA grow as a company so that in turn it can help music businesses make more money and create value in the marketplace, we want to recruit a Development Manager with a passion for growing creative businesses. You will have a proven track record in sales and business development, with experience of fundraising a useful extra but not essential. You should be a strategic thinker with an open, innovative approach.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Generating leads in Scotland, around the UK and internationally
• Maintaining customer relationship management records on all new and existing clients
• Development and maintaining client and funder relationships through meetings, regular phone and electronic communication and at industry events
• Working closely and effectively with our existing executive team
• Know the SMIA and its work inside out
• Promote the SMIA and its work at industry events
• Understand the music industry marketplace within the context of the wider creative industries
• Keep up to date with industry news and monitor trends
• Be aware of what other trade associations and industry organisations are doing
• Create sales pitch presentations and marketing materials
• And, where appropriate, write proposals and applications
• Identify new clients and customers and re-engage former clients and customers
You should be determined, dedicated, driven, hard-working and ambitious. As a friendly, sociable, helpful person you will be able to work alone and fit in well with our team. You should be experienced, organised and have an eye for detail. Music industry experience is an asset although not essential, but you should be passionate about music. Your computer skills should be proficient and experience with online productivity tools (like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) will be very useful.
We especially welcome the opportunity to work with someone we have not worked with before. We are flexible about whether this role will be full or part time. Salary will be in the range of £25,000—35,000 (full time or pro rata at 60% or 80% if part time) depending on experience. We are happy to negotiate bonuses for exceeding targets for commercial income.
If you fulfill this criteria, please send your CV and a letter detailing your experience. Pitch yourself to us and explain why you are the best person for this job. Please include a description of how you would approach raising an additional £200K for the SMIA within twelve months. Include at least two relevant references and send your application to: email@example.com by 18:00 on Friday 18 January 2019.
We anticipate interviewing the strongest candidates in early February and make a decision shortly afterwards. We will announce the successful applicant on the SMIA website. We regret that we may be unable to respond to everyone individually. If we find the right person to help our company develop, we intend the successful applicant to start work in February or March 2019, but we are flexible about start dates.