Hands Up for Trad, as part of our Scotland Sings project, are launching a day of Gaelic and Scots Singing Competitions. The competitions will take place on Saturday 1st May and we asking people to take part by sending in video entries. The categories are:
- Gaelic Song 12-14 years of age
- Scots Song 12-14 years of age
- Gaelic Song 15-18 years of age
- Scots Song 15-18 years of age
- Open Gaelic song (open to anyone)
- Open Scots song (open to anyone)
A selection of the best pre-recorded video entries will be shown and judged live on the day by a panel of experts, with a winner chosen for each category. Each winner will receive £50 prize money. In the evening we will be hosting a live invitational concert for the charity “Folk In Crisis Fund”.
If you would like to enter the competitions (please do!) you can enter here https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/handsupfortrad/hands-up-for-trad-gaelic-and-scots-singing-competition-entry-form/. The closing date for entries is Sunday 28th March 2021.
Also on Friday 30th April, we are hosting #singagaelicsongday and #singascotssongday, where we are asking anyone who uses social media to upload a video or audio of themselves singing a song in either language, using the relevant hashtag. We are hoping for a brilliant day of online music where everyone can join in!
Song Competition Terms and Conditions
- Entrants can enter only one video into the competition
- Songs can be traditional or newly composed in either Scots or Gaelic
- Singers can be accompanied by one other instrument
- Please shoot your video in landscape mode and use a tripod if possible in 1080p
- Please make sure your video is named entrant_firstname_lastname_competition
- Your entry video will be judged by a panel chosen by Hands Up for Trad
- If you video is chosen to go into the competition and the quality is not good enough we may ask you to record it again
- By entering, you agree to your video appearing online
- Your contact details will not be shared with anyone outside the Hands Up for Trad organisation
- Deadline for entries is Sunday 28th March 2021.
- The competition will be held online on Saturday 1st May 2021
- Any questions please contact Hands Up for Trad
- Hands Up for Trad’s decision is final